BEFORE and DURING the negotiation, but what does Coach K recommend for AFTER the negotiation? Read on. After the negotiation, thank them politely, and leave them promptly. The more you speak, the more information you unwittingly share. Do not refer to the negotiation conversation again. Focus on what has been agreed to, and move on. In conclusion (don’t you love when people say that, and mean it?)… Here are my Best Tips for negotiation:
- Assume that your opponent wants this deal as much as you do
- He / She who speaks first loses
- Leave inflammatory language out
- Follow your statements with questions
- Offer concessions, not confessions
- Know your walk-away number
- Be just as polite and upbeat walking away as you would be when accepting a deal with great terms
- Focus on Facts and Be Firm
Get the latest industry news and information from CRE-sources delivered right to your email inbox!
And we promise…no more than one email each morning.