BEFORE the negotiation, John Klymshyn, aka Coach K, continues withÂ 7 tips to consider DURING the negotiation:
- Respond to every question clearly, succinctly, and without â€œfluff.â€ You have already done all the selling you need to do. They are engaged in a conversation about Real Estate with you because they want something, too! Focus on facts, not your feelings.
- Assume that they want this deal as much as you do.
- Follow every statement you make with a question. (i.e.: “We have specific data on the – property, space or location – in the original proposal. How much of it would you like to review today?â€. â€œOur fee is x%, or y$. How does that compare with what you expected?â€)
- When you ask a question, avoid any that begin with â€œWhy…?â€
- Find out what they want NOW, as opposed to what you thought they wanted last time you spoke.
- Respect your opponent. Yes, opponent. Until you are working with someone, treat them as though they are a worthy opponent. They are going to approach the conversation in the same way that you should: They will want to surrender the least, while gaining the most. Do the same.
- Be prepared to camp out. Once they have indicated that a certain deal point is very important to them, camp out on it, and if it is something that is NOT particularly important to you, hang on to it just long enough to allow them to feel that they have won when you acquiesce.
Get the latest industry news and information from CRE-sources delivered right to your email inbox!
And we promise…no more than one email each morning.